You know how you love getting a nice bowl of gooey cheese dripping french onion soup at your favorite place? But if you’ve never made it thinking its a challenge, we’re here to help with this easy recipe!
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 large onions, sliced thin
Salt, to taste
1/2 cup dry sherry (not cooking)
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
4 cups low sodium beef broth
1 bunch fresh thyme tied with kitchen string
2 bay leaves
Freshly ground black pepper
2 cups mix of asiago and gruyere cheese, shredded
1 baguette sliced thin
1. Preheat the oven for 400 degrees. Add butter, onions and salt to a large Dutch oven. Cook uncovered , for 1 hour. Remove the onion from the pot and stir the onions, scraping the bottom of the pot. Remove the pot to the oven with the lid ajar and continue to cook until the ovens are very and golden brown, about an hour and a half longer, stirring the onions and scraping the bottom and sides of the pot after 1 hour.
2. Remove the pot from the oven and place over medium heat. Cook the onions, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom and sides of the pot, until the liquid evaporates and the onions brown, 20 or so minutes. Continue to cook until the bottom is coated with a dark crust, 6-8 minutes. Stir in the sherry and cook, stirring until sherry evaporates.
3. Stir in the broths, thyme, bay leaves and salt. Increase to high and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 30 or so minutes. Discard thyme and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden.
5. Turn on broiler. Put broiler safe crocks on the baking sheet and fill with soup. Top each bowl with baguette slices and sprinkle with the cheeses. Broil until cheese gets bubbly oozy, gooey and melted about 3 minutes. Keep an eye on it! Enjoy.